Sultan Idris Shah II Mosque
Sultan Idris Shah II Mosque is the state mosque of Perak, Malaysia. It is located on a piece of land near the Birch Memorial in Ipoh..
The aspiration to establish such a large mosque began when the capital of Perak moved from Taiping to Ipoh during the Japanese occupation. At the time, Ipoh had three large mosques, however these are not enough to accommodate all pilgrims around Ipoh to perform Friday prayers. Therefore, a decision was made to establish a new and larger mosque.
The construction of the mosque began in 1966 and the foundation was laid by the late Tun Haji Abdul Razak, then Deputy Prime Minister. The mosque was completed in 1968. The mosque was officially inaugurated in September 1968 by Sultan Idris Shah II of Perak in conjunction with his 54th birthday celebration.
Weekdays: 8.00 a.m – 5.00 p.m
There is no entrance fee. However, donation is encouraged.
Hear From Others
Sultan Idris Shah II Mosque is the Perak State Mosque. It stands opposite the Birch Memorial Clock Tower. Completed in August 1968, it is biggest mosque in the city occupying 2.6 hectares.
Two of Ipoh’s mosques are worth a look for their opposing styles. Built in 1898, the Panglima Kinta Mosque is one of the oldest in Malaysia. Its eclectic design supposedly incorporates British, Moghul and neo-classical architecture! The second, Sultan Idris Shah II, is a complete contrast. Built in 1968 as the State Mosque of Perak, its modern design verges on Brutalism.
It is one of the largest mosques in Ipoh with facilities that are more advanced than the rest, such as conference rooms, library, open space hall (available for rent) for weddings and the best, a free guided tour.
Ili Aqilah Yus Amirul
Set among the limestone hills in Ipoh, The Kallumalai Arulmigu Subramaniyar is not something to be missed. The temple was founded in 1930. It is a place for Hindu devotees to worship its main deity, Lord Murugan.
The Kek Lok Tong Cave Temple is translated as Cave of Ultimate Bliss. The temple cave is situated in the natural and picturesque area of Gunung Rapat, Ipoh. It sits on a 12 acre site and was used as a place of worship since early 1920’s. But it was only open to visitors in the 1970’s.