Japanese Carbide Chimney
The Japanese Carbide Chimney is located in Malim Nawar. It was constructed by the Japanese during the world War 2 as part of the factory to manufacture carbide for armament to be sent to Burma. However, the facility was never completed. After the Japanese surrendered in 1945, the communists supporters stole some of the building material for themselves.The chimney and a small guard house are what remain of the abandoned carbide factory.
The chimney is about 18 meters high with a diameter of 6 meters at the base, tapering to about 3 meters at the top. It has 4 arches, 2 are at the bottom for fire while the other 2 on top are closed to form the kiln. It is still in a good condition for its age.
Image by: Ah Kan Hou FB
The place has no operating hours, however it is advisable to go during the day.
There is no entrance fee.
Hear From Others
Huge blocks of carbide lie at the base of the chimney as a reminder of the past. One of the chimneys still stands tall at an estimated height of 18m while the other has the base to show. This artefact with thick brick walls whispers many untold stories.
YOON LAI WAN
In 2010 the chimney was shown on Astro TV, on the History channel, in a series called Hidden Cities.The presenter, Anthony Morse, went to see the chimney. He was told the chimney was used by the Japanese to manufacture carbide for bombs.
Tua Pek Kong literally means “Grand Uncle”, is one of the pantheon of Malaysian Chinese Gods. There are a number of Tua Pek Kong Temples located around Malaysia. This particular temple is located right by the sea shores in Manjung, Perak.
The Dutch Fort is a fort located within distance from a scenic beach side fishing village called Kampung Teluk Gedung in Pangkor Island, Perak, Malaysia. The ruins are the remnants of an old 17th century warehouse built by the Dutch when they attempted to control the tin trade in the Malay peninsula.
The Tanjung Tualang Tin Dredge No. 5 or TT5 is a former tin mining dredge in Batu Gajah, Perak. It is a relic from Malaysia’s tin mining heydays. The dredge was built in England in 1938 by F.W. Payne & Son. It was built for the Southern Malayan Tin Dredging Ltd, a company that operated 6 dredges in total in Batu Gajah and Tanjung Tualang.