The Dutch Fort is a fort located within distance from a scenic beach side fishing village called Kampung Teluk Gedung in Pangkor Island, Perak, Malaysia. The ruins are the remnants of an old 17th century warehouse built by the Dutch when they attempted to control the tin trade in the Malay peninsula. At the time the ‘fort’ was built, the Dutch had occupied Malacca and they were extending their tentacles to other parts of the Malay Archipelago. This fort was abandoned after the Dutch built another warehouse near Sungai Perak in 1784.
The fort was partially restored as a tourist attractions by Malaysia’s museum department in 1973. The walls were reconstructed using the original floor plan but no roof was added since the original design of the roof was unknown. It was gazetted as an ancient monument and historical site in 1978.
The site of the fort has been enhanced with a patterned lawn and a view tower. A small park and some souvenir stores with a hint of Dutch-style architecture have been set up around the area for visitors.
Image by: Roderick Eime
Daily: 8.00 a.m – 6.00 p.m
There is no entrance fee.
Hear From Others
Formally known as Kota Belanda, we took a walk around the fort to explore its surroundings. Kota Belanda was apparently built in 1670 by the Dutch to store and protect tin supplies gathered during its colonization
If you want to take a break from the white sandy beaches, consider dropping by the historical Dutch Fort or Kota Belanda right in the heart of Pulau Pangkor. It is the only historical site on Pangkor Island.
The Sitiawan Settlement Museum is located in Koh Village, Sitiawan, Perak. The two -storey building which the museum is located was originally the parsonage built in 1935 for the Pioneer Methodist Church Pastors in Sitiawan. It was converted to a museum in 2003.
Kellie’s Castle is Malaysia’s Most Famous Castle located in Batu Gajah, Perak. This unfinished mansion was built by a Scottish rubber planter named William Kellie-Smith. The mansion was built to celebrate the birth of his son and heir, Anthony.
The Japanese Carbide Chimney is located in Malim Nawar. It was constructed by the Japanese during the world War 2 as part of the factory to manufacture carbide for armament to be sent to Burma. However, the facility was never completed.